Saturday, February 14, 2009

Washing Away

I find myself on a beach, twilight fading,
Lying back, facing the sea,
The water washes against my feet as I await the dawn…

I gaze gently at the horizon, a smile across my lips,
Safe in the knowledge of one thing,
My emancipation is absolute and immediate…

I think back to the months passed, a tear forming,
Knowing that they represent wasted time,
It rolls slowly down my face, washing away with the tide…

I sit up suddenly, as the sky begins to lighten,
Wondering when again I would share this with someone,
I stop wondering, as ‘when’ is ‘when’ and no longer matters…

I notice now something new, an inner calm,
Windless, just like the morning I behold,
Not a grain of sand touches the clarity above…

I marvel to myself, while taking some sand,
As I know I have changed for the better of us all,
I loosely let the sand slip, just like an hour glass…

I watch the sunrise, until the day is in motion,
The tide has fallen back and I know it is time,
A new start awaits in pastures old…

Finally.

(Washing Away was published in DCU Book Society's 2009 Creative Writing Anthology along with Loveable Rogue - to be published two years running was good enough, but to get two into one anthology took me by surprise, to be honest).

No comments:

Post a Comment