Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cliffs

And today June emphatically begins,
As we scale these cliffs, reliving our sins,
The sun beats down with no sign of a wind,
Just an air of hope the past will rescind.

Old war wounds burst their banks on my skin,
As rocks rapingly scrape “repent to win,”
We approach the edge, I approach the end,
And looking down I fear to surrend.

The beauty of certain uncertainty,
The unknown of life as a guarantee,
My laughter is said to bring so much joy,
But how can that be, I am just a boy?

Now the waves crash into the cliff side,
The roar grabs hold, without a place to hide,
But then it all goes numbingly silent,
So deafening, voraciously violent.

And though time drags us so far apart,
We breath in the clock, go back to the start,
And live in this scene of serenity,
Setting sun shows no shred of sympathy.


(I visited the cliffs around Howth for the first time yesterday - they were incredible)

No comments:

Post a Comment