Thursday, September 8, 2011

Flies

The difference between
Eighteen and twenty-two
Hurtles forward
From behind me,
Unexpectedly.
At eighteen,
With a child-like innocence,
I stood on a ledge,
Looking down at my
Friends on the strand,
All gathered to celebrate
My birthday;
My best friend
Stood drunkenly in tow,
As I called out
(with his encouragement)
To all those people
Who seemed like they would
Be around forever:
“You are my people!”
At twenty-two,
Many of those people
Have vanished,
Turning right where we
Ventured left;
While so many lost loves –
Who never stood a chance
And never had a choice –
Have left me a shadow
Of the man
I once dreamed I could be.
At eighteen,
I was pure though tainted
With death’s brush,
And yet still whimsical
With simple hopes
And impossible ideas;
At twenty-two,
I am no more than
A carbon copy
Of my father,
The man who would
Remove his wedding ring
Whilst in bars
So he could distract himself
From the pain
Of being himself,
Alive and well
In all things but mind.
It is now
Impossible
To separate true feelings
From self-deception
As lust and love blur
Into one incoherent mess
Before my darkening eyes.
And it is hard to recall
What it was that made me
Love in the first place;
So, locked away,
I can hurt nobody,
Because whatever
Comes next
Will be to
The other person’s detriment –
And nobody deserves that,
So it can never happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment