Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What Defines an 'Emo'?

What defines an ‘emo’?
This is how I think it should be defined:

I think it makes a mockery of those
Who are truly depressed,
It is an image,
A persona,
That the youth of today have adopted
Because they think it is ‘cool’,
When, the fact is, they are flirting with something
That should never be flirted with,
If depression and genuine suicidal thoughts
Can be avoided, they should be at all costs,
What ‘emo’ does is take someone as close
To these things as mentally possible
Without throwing them in too deep…

The problem is, this achieves only one of two things:
One,
The person only takes one step towards being depressed,
Everything else they do is just part of an act,
An image of being depressed,
Until they realise how fake they’ve become,
This is what being ‘emo’ is all about,
Or, more tragically, two,
They become so immersed in their new found persona
That they begin to dig deeper and deeper inside their souls
And end up falling into the massive hole they’ve made within themselves,
They descend into genuine depression…

A lot of the things I’ve written are depressing,
I can’t deny that,
But, no matter what I’ve written,
No matter what I’ve claimed,
I KNOW I’m not depressed,
I have NO RIGHT to even think about claiming it,
And neither does anyone who has embraced
The social stance of an ‘emo’,
As they do not appreciate the strength of the emotion
They are toying with…

You know what the frightening thing about real depression is?
It can be hidden so easily,
I have never seen depression,
But I have seen it’s poker face,
I couldn’t describe depression,
But I could describe the mask a person wears to hide it,
‘Emo’ is like an oversized mask,
The difference is this mask is designed to be fake,
It’s designed to be tossed away,
The mask of depression is adopted against the person’s will
In an effort to see every day out to its end,
Until one day, they can’t see the day out,
And the mask falls and smashes on the ground,
As do the lives of all those closest to them…

‘Emo’ is a dangerous joke…
Depression is what it is and shouldn’t be tampered with…

No comments:

Post a Comment