Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Universe

I awoke one morning to find a star
shining in glorious beauty before me;
it remained within my sight for so long,
blinding me to the rest of the world as
I became enthralled in utter infatuation -
I had fallen in love.

And one day, this star became more
tangible than ever, more real than
anything I had ever experienced,
so I decided to try and grab the star
floating before me, as I was absolutely
certain that it would make me happy.

But every time I reached out to take
hold of my loving star, it was beyond
my grasp, and I began to doubt then
whether or not the star wanted to be held -
What gives me the right to possess a
gem of the universe? I asked myself.

It began to shake violently, then, its glow
wavering with the violence, the love
creaking and cracking, splinters of star
becoming shards as it began to fall apart -
and it finally dawned on me that the star
was never floating before my eyes.

It was dangling by a string in front of me,
a string that stretched over my head
and connected with a strap on my back;
I was like a horse chasing a carrot all the time,
believing in a prospect because it seemed
so tantalisingly close, so impossibly close.

And as the star crumbled into its pieces
I shed a tear for the needs of the soul
and for my own blindness, but I could
not be angry because the star had brought
me hope and love when both seemed lost -
now I simply find myself home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment