Friday, May 15, 2009

New Generation

Reading articles of a year past,
Watching and marking their rise and fall,
Increase in quantity brought decrease in quality,
A drop in numbers saw no change in standards,
But when taken out of the equation entirely,
That was when I was at my best;
As time progressed, the unfamiliar was replaced by the familiar,
Names vague, almost legendary in status,
Littered the publication in the beginning,
Making a breakthrough seem almost impossible,
But gradually, over two years, they vanished, one-by-one,
Superseded by our generation, stepping up to take the mantels;
Then my name materialised, alongside my coup instigating comrades,
We were the legendary ones now, the ones to beat,
The ones whose hands rose fastest and highest,
The ones standing and dictating, in control of what to say and what to tell,
And with a year more of this power still to come;
But something felt wrong the longer this went on,
As, while I noticed increased quantity and quality in others’ words,
My own seemed to stutter, quantity not matching quality,
Until eventually, quantity began to shrink, cutting my name away,
And finally, I ceased to exist at all within our generation’s ranks,
A faded force amidst growing revolutionaries;
And now a year lies ahead with our generation in charge,
But I am stuck here, still as a statue,
A frozen look of bitter sadness on my face,
While you all make your legends without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment