Monday, June 15, 2009

Feels Safer

The floor,
Green, red, blue, two step,
Red, blue, green, three step,
Blue, green, red, two step,
The floor.

The ceiling,
Flashing in strobes,
Bar one bulb, it stands alone,
A void, a black light,
The ceiling.

And I close my eyes, because everything feels safer.

The bus,
No passage of time,
One minute - club, next minute - seat,
Everyone sits on the left,
The bus.

The journey,
Half of a man falls limp and dies,
Other half fights the spreading stroke,
Everyone sits helpless on the left,
The journey.

And I close my eyes, because everything feels safer.

The walk,
Bus stop to front door,
Hoping the batteries do not die,
Cats’ screams are drowned out,
The walk.

The bed,
Crawling in as the wind howls,
Dead leaves rise in turrets,
And fall like confetti outside,
The bed.

And I close my eyes, because everything feels safer.

(the aim of this poem is to be deliberately fragmented while still making it obvious that the things going on are just happening in my head in a fit of fatigue-induced paranoia - whether or not I've achieved that is up to you, but it was interesting to write a poem in this manner).

No comments:

Post a Comment