Friday, October 13, 2006

Friends?

Anger, hatred, annoyance, resentment, exasperation, outrage, fury, displeasure, loathing, detestation, animosity, enmity, irritation, vexation.

Why do friends sometimes make us feel these things?
Are they not there to be trusted?
Or are they there just to annoy us?
To make us feel angry and exasperated,
Surely they are there to support us?
Not to make snide comments behind your back,
Or to make fun of you,
Just to be popular,
Just to be part of the crowd.

Why do friends sometimes backstab each other?
What is achieved by this?
Nothing at all,
Common sense tells us that friends should be helpful,
And supportive in times of trouble,
Yet to me it seems the opposite,
They seem to make things worse,
Stating the obvious,
Making themselves sound clever,
Since they are not in the same trouble as me.

Are all friends this way?
If someone has the answer please tell me.


(I asked a man called John Silkstone on Bebo to review some of my early poetry and he said this poem was one worthy of publication in his magazine - it was only the tenth poem I'd ever written).

No comments:

Post a Comment