Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hope/My Friends

Slipping into an abyss within the
Soul where solitude rests in deceiving
Harmlessness. A lack of reality
In my mind creates oblivion, sharp
In its coup but merciless in its fierce
Follow-through. Past memories manifest
Themselves before my eyes, reminding me
Of circumstance’s cruel interventions
And of my own mistakes, the conceited
Chases. It all unfolds again as if
It was the first time, unleashing the stream
Within and without, in front of those most
Likely to make a mockery. People
Cover the cracks yet create the faults, some
In vain trying to protect me from the
Pretenders; not my well-wishers, never
To be so. Dreams crumble from stone to shards
To shallow mud puddles, catching steps and
Dragging them down to the sloping, sinking
Depths of disimprovement, with only false
Prophets found at the end, buried beneath.
The only chance now to restore faith in
Humanity lies with those who took it,
Unknowingly, away from me before;
Hope and my friends must take each other’s hands.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite poems that you have written Franner. By reading your older work, one can clearly see your progression as a poet. Your previous work was raw but now the emotion is so stark and this poem epitomizes that.

    "In my mind creates oblivion, sharp
    In its coup but merciless in its fierce
    Follow-through"
    This is one of the best lines in the poem. It really echoed in my head after the reading it.

    "Slipping into an abyss within the
    Soul where solitude rests in deceiving
    Harmlessness"
    This is another example of your creative genius. The opening is very reminiscent of some of Alexander Pope's lines.

    Keep up the good work Franner, I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus Christ, I didn't even realise I had a comment on this, I'm really sorry for not responding!

    Blogger doesn't email me whenever I get a comment and that's something I've only realised today.:(

    Thanks so much for the comment, though, I really appreciate it. I'm just sorry that it took me so long to see it!

    ReplyDelete