Sunday, March 27, 2011

Junction

At this junction where the locals
Resound with the ringing brass,
An uneasiness descends upon me
That is indescribable.
The overwhelming generosity of
Those within this former home of
God and his followers –
A home they still call “our own” –
Convinces me that my own attendance
Here is tinged with ulterior motives:
And who’s to say otherwise?

Where their propagated cause is worthy
My own is certainly fraudulent,
This whole show a simple smokescreen
For me to see her alluring self again.
In this candle-lit setting,
Folly gives rise to hope as the scents
Sweep me away to my imaginarium –
Home to such impractical desires.
Above my seat, a film reel highlights
Why we are here, but rather than it
I stare silently at her, the essence of innocence.

Come the show’s end, they take the acclaim
While I harbour hopes of taking her heart;
Yet a person in idleness fades from memory,
And I was trapped in the depths of Clongriffin
While an inevitable swoop took place:
Her heart has been stolen from my palm
Where it never sat comfortably to begin with.
And I just have to marvel at my bold plans
Of fleeing this island and making my fortune:
What would be the point if I returned to find
That everybody I had ever loved was gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment