Monday, November 5, 2007

The Magic of Music in Motion

That feeling of the drumbeat in my chest,
That sound of the guitar screeching through the air,
That voice singing lyrics that mean something to a generation...
All this makes me feel inspired and empowered,
That's the magic that music has over us all,
It's influential and galvanizing,
Thought-provoking and heart-lifting,
So much so, that it's worth standing on the soaking wet grass,
On a cold November's evening,
To witness such a wonderful blend of charismatic instrumentals,
And heartfelt melodies,
Only one thing could make this better now...

Yet as I turn to search for her,
I see her in the arms of another,
Kissing and caressing,
It would be like watching music-in-motion,
If it could be me kissing her fair lips,
While caressing her elegant back,
As it is though, I can only stand helplessly by,
Watching this heartbreaking sight,
As slowly but surely,
The magical power of the music fades away,
To be replaced by that old, familiar feeling,
That at this stage, I constantly peer over my shoulder for...

At least I can always feel the magic of music,
Even if I never get to feel its magic in motion...


(written around the time of Bloc Party's Phoenix Park gig, this poem is a perfect example of something that happens to me far too often: an interesting idea executed poorly - gig was class, though).

No comments:

Post a Comment